11 October 2010

Marché de Wazemmes

While friends and family in Washington were drowning in rain... I was basking in the sun this weekend. It was absolutely beautiful weather, perfect for walking around town in a t-shirt. Sunday morning, we ventured to the Marché de Wazemmes, which is supposed to be one of the best (if not the largest?) markets in France. In a word, it was hectic. But I loved it. Communication was a little confused between the people Cody and I were meeting up with, so we ended up rushing out of there to get to on the metro to take us to Gare Lille Flandres... Cody ran far ahead of me and didn't wait for me to get on the metro so I had to catch up on the next bus. I was a little peeved that he didn't listen when I shouted "Cody, wait!" Sometimes I truly think he just doesn't like me... But we eventually all met up - just not as planned.

Anyways, I can't wait to go back to the Marché de Wazemmes! There are so many people there, it's insane!  You definitely need to be conscious of your belongings and forget having any personal space. You can buy anything there from shampoo to roasted chickens, fruits and vegetables, to rugs, books, and antiques. Although, with the crowd of people, I would be afraid to buy anything breakable. I really wish I could have looked for longer, but I'll definitely be going back. I think that maybe it was extremely busy was that it was an uncharacteristically beautiful October Sunday, which apparently is very hard to come by. 
Cody and I met up with a few of our favorite Brits, Josh, Megan, and Loise, and wandered around Lille in the sunshine before finding a café for lunch. I honestly hate eating out here, since everywhere is so expensive! A lot of the plats à emporter and street food are cheap-ish, which is what I'd rather have but everyone else chose a more expensive café with limited choices (and then complained about the price). I ended up having a delicious salad but paid 11,90 for it, which is about $16.65 and I never spend that much on food for myself. In fact, when I do my grocery shopping for the week in the states, I can easily keep my total under $20 for a whole week. Anyways, after our lunch, we walked some more and wound up in a park to enjoy even more sunshine. Gotta savor it while it lasts! Don't you wish you did? 
Bad angle, but I love this picture of Josh, Megan, and I
Nate, Louise, Cody
In all, the weather was beautiful this weekend and I was able to hang out with friends. I definitely can't complain. Okay, well, there are a few things I could complain about, but there's no need for negativity here. Wouldn't want you guys to worry about me unless there was really something to worry about! 
Bisous, 
-kelse

plats à emporter - takeout 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. I can't wait to meet your friends.I also am so looking forward to visiting your big market that you went to. :) Keep up the great postings Kelsey.

    ReplyDelete