25 December 2010

Christmas Eve in Tabivere

Yesterday afternoon, we trekked over by foot to Liivi and Lembit's apartment for a Christmas Eve feast! We spent the afternoon chatting and watching movies before our delicious meal was served. Instead of my usual Thanksgiving dinner repeat, I enjoyed a plate of blood sausage, goose, a lihapirukad, pumpkin, sauerkraut, and potatoes. I also had Liivi's homemade pork paté and raisin-nut bread. I was stuffed by the end of it all and so much of the food on the table went untouched, too. 
Yum yum yum. 
Jane, Tessu, and I had fun chatting and watching movies. 
Lembit poured tons of vodka shots (chased with homemade cranberry juice) and then Jane tried to get me drunk off the Vana Tallinn and yogurt drink so she could make me eat a cinnamon-flavored mushroom that scared me. I decided to offer up as much of this stiff drink as I could... 
And then this happened... Santa Claus came! (Do I sound like I'm slurring to you? Is that really my voice? ) We had to either sing or recite a poem to get our gifts from him. First, I sang "Jingle Bells" and then I tried to recite "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" but got stuck after a few lines... Then Jane and I just gave him a kiss on the cheek. He was a very friendly Santa! He found me, but the gifts sent to me from the US got left out of his bag somehow... Hopefully they arrive sometime soon... damned post office... Jane knit me a pair of mittens with a matching beanie, from Tiina I got some some Estonian dark chocolate and socks she had knit with my name and a flower on them, from Liivi and Lembit, I got I cute little cactus decorated like Santa, and from Tessu and Roodi, I got a ton of kisses. 

Here's Liivi, Tiina, and Lembit singing for Santa in Estonian. 

I must have made it on both the Naughty and Nice lists this year!

I made sure to tell him I'd be in America next year! 

Estonia and the rest of Europe is being hit by a storm called Scarlet... Our trek back to Tiina's apartment was through a ton of snow! Half of the trail we'd walked through in the afternoon was gone on our walk back. It takes a lot of more effort to walk in the snow than regular walking... In all, it was a great Christmas Eve! We should be leaving for Kooraste in a little while... wish us luck driving through the storm! They've already shoveled out the driveway... 

I hope that where ever you are and whoever you're with, that you're having a very Merry Christmas! I know that I am! 
Bisous, 
-kelse

No comments:

Post a Comment