30 April 2011

Galavanting around Germany does a girl some good!

After nine days in Germany with one of my best friends and her husband, my vacation sadly ended yesterday evening. Rosie and Jeric moved to Germany in February when he got a job at Ramstein Air Force Base and generously took me in as their first house guest. Along with their two dogs, Nico and Noah, the newlyweds live in the small town of Brücken, about 30 minutes off-base. As soon as I saw Rosie walking towards me at the train station, I shouted her name and started running towards the outstretched arms of one of my best friends. Within seconds, I felt the huge weight of homesickness and loneliness disappear. Rosie and I have been extremely close friends since the day we met in a 6th grade choir rehearsal. She's one of the best kinds of friends - the kind that no matter how much time has passed since you last saw or talked to each other, it's like nothing has changed. Seeing her was just what I needed to get me out of my homesickness funk. 

At the Visitor's Center at Ramstein Air Force Base
Outside the Officers' Club on-base to congratulate Jeric's commander on his promotion
Rosie is lucky to have found such a wonderful husband; a proud officer in the US Air Force
We headed straight to the visitor's center on base to get my visitor's access card. After a nice dinner at Deutsche Haus where we were served by German soldiers, Jeric an Rosie gave me a tour of the BX and the commissary. At the BX, I felt like I was back in America! Baskin Robbins, Taco Bell, Cinnabon, Johnny Rockets, Subway, Manchu Wok, a Wal-Mart-like store and a movie theater make it feel like an American mall. At the commissary, you find all of the top American products and brands that it's like shopping at Safeway. The amenities provided on base really make it so that all they have to miss are their friends and families back home. Just walking down the aisles and seeing everything that I recognize and miss from home added to curing my homesickness. Only two and a half months until this will be my life again! : ) 
Cuddled up with Nico (left) and Noah (right)
At Heidelberg Castle
Waiting for lunch in Heidelberg
She makes me THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS happy! Can't help but jump for joy!
Self-timer photo shoot at Burg Lichtenburg in Kusel
Soaking up the sun at Heidelberg Castle
Reading up on Trier, the oldest city in Germany. This was the only meal I managed to pay for (I swear it included food).
Before the tears at the train station. Didn't want to let this girl go! 
I spent nine fabulous days with the Talania's galavanting around Germany, cooking them dinner, and curled up in Rosie's Snuggie on the couch watching movies, reminiscing, and talking about boys (men?). I couldn't have asked for better hosts and travel companions. Tears were definitely shed as my train pulled away from Kaiserslautern station as a trip that I'll never forget came to a close. I'll be posting more tonight with the places we went but Rosie and Jeric were such wonderful company that they definitely deserve their own post. Thanks again, you two! I love and miss you both already! 
Bisous, 
-kelse

1 comment:

  1. aww so sweet! seems like a wonderful trip. you guys look so cute in the pictures!

    ReplyDelete