18 May 2011

Quiche à la Keecee

While I was eating and drinking my way through Le Mans (apparently I only drink while I'm on vacation...), I realized that I haven't eaten a whole lot of French food while I've been here. I certainly haven't really made anything French either. My family is going to expect that I have something to show for living in France and I have nothing... until today. Emilie gave me her recipe for Quiche Lorraine, the classic quiche that you've likely all tried. Since I got back to Marcq-en-Baroeul, I've been trying to figure out what type of quiche I wanted to make. An online search for recipes just left me confused and craving quiche! Some people use 5 eggs and others 2 eggs; certain recipes use half-and-half while others use milk, flour, and all vary in measurements. On top of that, tons of recipe commenters mentioned their quiche to be too watery or not eggy enough. For someone who only bakes vegetables, I took a chance creating a recipe from scratch - and I'm sure happy that I did! 

Voici ma recette for Quiche à la Keecee (since hardly anyone here can properly call me Kelsey). You could also call it Quiche aux Poivrons et Piments. Bon appétit! 

Ingrédients:
1 store-bought pastry shell [I used a pâte brisée]
Dijon mustard
1 each red and yellow bell peppers, sliced
2 jarred chili peppers, sliced [I deseeded mine in case Séb wanted a piece]
3.5 oz crumbled feta cheese [I used100 grams]
3 eggs
1/2 pint or 3/4 cup + 1.5 TBSP (low-fat) half-n-half [I used Elle & Vire Fluide et Légère Crème Fraîche with only 3% fat]
freshly ground pepper



Directions: 
1. Slice red and yellow bell peppers and roast in oven set to 175°C/350°F for 10 minutes, until slightly tender. Place in a single layer on paper towels with sliced red peppers from jar to drain liquid. Also place feta cheese on paper towels to draw out excess liquid. 
2. Set oven to 200°C/400°F. In a pie dish, set your pastry dough with excess edges hanging over the edges. Spread a thin layer of dijon mustard evenly over the bottom of the shell and poke several times with fork. (This prevents the pastry from rising up while you blind bake it.) Bake crust for 5 minutes. 
3. Fold over excess dough to form the crust. Layer your peppers evenly in the pie shell and top with crumbled cheese. 
4. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together eggs, crème fraîche, and a little freshly ground pepper. Pour evenly over peppers and cheese. Bake in oven at 200°C/400°F for 45 minutes or until egg is fully set and knife inserted into the center comes out clean. 

I thought this was delicious; next time I might add fresh basil but would happily make it as is again! Let me know if you test it out. Miam miam! Bon appétit! 

Bisous,
-kelse

Voici - Here is...
Ma recette - My recipe 
Quiche aux Poivrons et Piments - Quiche with bell peppers and chili peppers
Un poivron rouge/jaune - A red/yellow bell pepper
Ingrédients - Ingredients
Une pâte brisée - A pastry crust dough 
Fluide et Légère - Fluid and light
Crème Fraîche - Fresh cream (Note: The crème fraîche you buy in the US is different than in France because by law, it has to be pasteurized in the US. There are recipes to make your own online and it can sometimes be bought in specialty stores. Or, you can substitute with half-n-half)

1 comment:

  1. The recipe looks so good. I have always wanted to visit France. Good Luck in your new life.

    ReplyDelete