01 May 2011

Traipsing through Trier | The oldest city in Germany

After dropping Jeric off at work one day, Rosie and I set off to explore Trier, the oldest city in Germany. Remembering the days when Rosie would cautiously drive through the streets of Renton, I was so proud to see her confidently take on the autobahn and one-lane roads in small Germany towns! Trier was founded before 16 BC by the Romans under Caesar Augustus. To protect inhabitants from the threat of German tribes, in 180 AD they built a wall around the city. The Porta Nigra, one of five entrances to the city is nearly perfectly preserved. Through the centuries, Trier has seen fluctuations in religious and trading power, population and severity of destruction. It's perfect for an afternoon of sightseeing, shopping, and hanging out with a dear friend. 

The Cathedral of Trier is an understated beauty from the outside; it's the oldest church in Germany and another of UNESCO's World Heritage sites. The Tunic of Christ, the Holy Robe, has been at this site since the 11th century and kept in a shrine in the Holy Robe Chapel, though it is not publicly viewable. The craftsmanship inside this church is beautiful and I'm happy to have seen it. 

Trier had a lively plaza with several stores and restaurants. Along with my pizza, I basically ordered Rose Ann to let me pay for lunch (ps. shrimp and asparagus are good toppings)! We joked as she called the artichokes on hers "anchovies" and sipped our sodas from wine classes.  


There are also a ton of other sites in this small town, like the Electoral Palace, Imperial Baths, and the Basilika. 

I love finding such vivid history in places you aren't often told to look!
Bisous,
-kelse

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to go there - I loved Heidelberg as well. I will have to get to Treves before I leave!

    ReplyDelete